Friday, April 8, 2016

Rogue One Misogynistic Fuckery

This post is a bit long winded, but the fuckery going on regarding Rogue One has me overheated a bit. 

I love just about anything Sci-Fi.  As many of you know, I've written a lot of Sci-Fi erotica and erotic romance.

And now, maybe you'll learn why.

Star Wars is the first movie I recall seeing in a movie theater. I was so little, I didn't weigh enough to hold the seat down, so my mom had to put her hand in the middle of the seat so it didn't swallow me whole. I wrapped my little arms and legs around her arms and sat transfixed by the screen. All the lights and sounds and the story -- I was four years old and knew this had to be the best thing in the world. 

 A few years later, I remember standing in line for 3 hours to see Return of the Jedi on opening night. I was a Star Wars junkie at this point, so my single mom had rushed from her job 45 minutes away from home to grab me and drive another 45 minutes to get to a movie theater on opening night. 

 We missed the 7 pm show (you know, back in the day when there was only a 7 and a 9 on any weeknight), so we had to wait for the 9 pm show. A ticket attendant counted bodies in line, and there were only two people behind us. We barely made it in for opening night! I knew in that moment that I had the coolest mom ever. 


This Star Wars poster graces my office wall.
Once the second trilogy came out, I was the mom. I got to take my daughter, who was nearly the same age I was when the original trilogy came out. Of course, I wasn't as thrilled with the new films as much as the originals, but I was still able to share my love of Star Wars with my own kiddo. We watched the originals on video to get her ready for the new ones and for several Christmases -- when the DVDs came out -- we would have Star Wars viewing parties where we would binge watch all of the movies.

There are a lot of wonderful family memories wrapped in the Star Wars franchise.

When I saw the trailer for The Force Awakens, I literally got goosebumps and cried. 

CRIED. 

As in ugly cried -- because the vibe from the original trilogy was back. It brought all those amazing moments I shared with my mother -- and then my child. 

I sat in a movie theater, hopeful, tears in my eyes when the opening credits began to roll. The familiar music gave me chills as I sat between my daughter and my mother -- three generations of Star Wars fans. 

Three generations of FEMALE Star Wars fans. 

As a single mother raised by a single mother, I learned early on that men weren't as tough as everybody made them out to be. I also learned that women are badasses. 

Damned right they can lead. 

Rey proved that in December, I'd say. 

And the BILLIONS of dollars the movie made proves that a female can star in a film and be a success.  (Oh the diversity of The Force Awakens!  A woman and a black man LEADING?  How amazing was that shit?)

I can't wait to see ROGUE ONE and I absolutely love that they're finally portraying women as just as strong as they actually are.* 



 I'll be first in line. 

 With my mom and daughter at my side.

So, you hate that women are portrayed as strong characters?  Guess what?  You don't have to go.  We won't miss your misogynistic asses one bit.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Yes, Leia was ahead of her time, but she was still a product of the 70s patriarchy. She was  still shown as weak and vulnerable and in need of men to come rescue her.  Do we even need to discuss her slave girl costume?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...